THE ADMISSIONS PROCESS
Admissions to charter schools are completely separate from the DOE process. Applying to BUGS is not part of the ranking process, and there is no interview or other selection criteria, including review of a student's prior record. Attendance at an Open House is not required in order to apply.
- BUGS is a tuition-free public school open to all NYC residents.
- Admission is by random lottery ONLY.
- All students must complete an application to apply for the lottery. Paper applications are available at the school.
- Applications submitted after the April 1st deadline will automatically be placed on the waiting list.
- Applications for 7th grade in the 2014-2015 school year will also be placed on the waiting list automatically. Seats for 7th grade will be offered as they become available. Applicants for 7th grade should download the paper application here and send to the school.
- The lottery will take place on April 24th, 2014 at 6:30pm. Attendance is NOT required.
- Students who live in District 15 will be given priority in the lottery, but interested families should still apply regardless of residence.
- All applicants who apply by the April 1st deadline will be entered into the lottery.
- We will notify those students who have obtained a place at BUGS after the lottery takes place and create a waiting list.
- Students who are offered a seat from the lottery will be allowed to tour BUGS during the school day with one parent or guardian on either May 14th or 15th in order to inform your decision. Invitations will be sent out along with lottery results.
- Waiting lists do not carry over from year to year, so families that applied in 2013-2014 school year must reapply to the 2014-2015 lottery.