BUGS is a new, community-based charter school where students study the natural and social environment across all subjects, using a hands-on, inquiry-based approach. Students of all backgrounds and abilities are welcome.
BUGS is a small, welcoming middle school where…
- Students gain strong academic skills by studying the natural environment of Brooklyn and the rest of New York City.
- A safe, welcoming, and respectful school climate supports equity and access for all learners.
- Teachers collaborate regularly to create interdisciplinary projects.
- Students design, build and maintain an on-site garden.
We are located at 500 19th Street,
within the Bishop Ford High School
in Windsor Terrace, Brooklyn.
BUGS is still enrolling and accepting 6th grade students for the
2014-2015 school year!
Please see our Admissions Page for more information.
BUGS is honored to have received both the city-wide and borough-wide
It is a great accomplishment for BUGS
to be held as a standard of sustainability in our first year of operation
and is a testament to the staff and students' hard work.
We are very honored to receive this commendation!
CONCERNING THE BISHOP FORD CLOSURE:
If you have any questions or concerns on this matter, please contact Susan Tenner at susan.tenner@BUGSbrooklyn.org
Special Meeting of the Board of Trustees
Date: September 12, 2014
Location: Bishop Ford HS 500 19th St. Brooklyn, NY in the Community Room (424)
About the Brooklyn Urban Garden Charter School
The Brooklyn Urban Garden Charter School will be a vibrant learning community dedicated to stewardship of the environment and the inter-disciplinary study of the science of sustainability. Through explorations of real-world problems and challenges, BUGS graduates will gain:
- A deep knowledge in the core academic subjects;
- The problem-solving and critical thinking skills to succeed in high school, college, and the future workforce; and
- The ability to collaborate with others in an increasingly global society.
We happily invite members of the community to speak and share their thoughts, ideas and concerns with us during the Public Participation portion of our meeting. During this time, each community member will have three minutes to speak. There will be a sign-up sheet available 30 minutes prior to the start of the meeting, located at the entrance. Once the Public Participation portion of our agenda begins, we will remove the sign-up sheet and invite speakers to share their thoughts in the order indicated on the sign-up sheet.
Please consider using this Amazon Fundraiser Link to raise money for BUGS when you shop!
Or visit NYCharities.org to provide BUGS with your critical support!